About the Distillery
Port Dundas distillery was a landmark in Glasgow. Built in 1811 at the highest point in the city next to the banks of the Forth & Clyde Canal where it grew in size to become the largest distillery in Scotland. Its three Coffey stills and five pot stills produced over two million gallons of spirit a year. They used ‘American Corn’, barley and rye to produce their spirit.
In 2010 its owner Diageo decided to concentrate its grain production at the Cameronbridge distillery. Although there were offers from rival distillers to buy Port Dundas they foundered – possibly because of the potential cost of another upgrade. In 2011, production ceased and the site was demolished. The landmark was gone forever but t some of the whisky lives on.