About the Distillery
Glen Elgin Distilleryis situated in the heart of Speyside approximately 3 miles south of Elgin. This distillery was the last distillery to be built during the boom years of the 1890s.
The architect, Charles Doig, stated it would be the last one built in Speyside for 50 years. His prediction was remarkably accurate with Tormore being the next distillery built, in 1958.
The original site was chosen for its water source and close proximity to the railway line. Unfortunately the water source proved unreliable and permission for a railway siding was refused.
Until the 1950s the distillery was entirely operated and lit by paraffin. All machinery was driven by a paraffin engine and a water turbine.
The distillery is owned by the ‘Elgin Group which also owns Linkwood, Glenlossie and Mannochmore. The whisky is still a key component of White Horse blended whisky, which is exported to over 200 countries worldwide.